|Home||About us||What we fund||Recent grants||Contact us||Site map|
John Marshall, Gentleman, was the third son of John Marshall of the Borough of Southwark, citizen and whitebaker of London.
A native of Stamford in Lincolnshire, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Dr Richard Taylor, made his last Will in 1627 and died childless in 1631. At that time he was dwelling at his mansion house in Axe Yard (now Newcomen Street), Southwark. He was buried somewhere in St. Saviour's Church (now Southwark Cathedral) and his remains, it seems, were never removed to Christchurch as he desired.
Download the preamble to the 1855 Marshall's Charity Act of Parliament, which includes the full text of the Will (pdf - 1.3Mb).
The church was built in 1671, destroyed by enemy action in 1941 and re-built in 1960, and remains in the ownership of the Charity, who also retain the patronage of the benefice.
As well as the provision of university scholarships for poor scholars native to the Borough of Southwark or from the town of Stamford, the Will provided funds for a weekly lecture in preparation for Holy Communion to be given at a Stamford church, and also for a dinner for his Trustees on the occasion of the annual audit.
The meaning of his final instruction, that the balance of any monies should be used for “the Mayntenance and Continuance of the sincere preaching of God’s most holie Word in this Land for ever” was unclear.
Support for clergy housing
Restoration, repair and improvement
Download the first page of John Marshall's Will (pdf - 160k)